History: Wat Phra that Doi Wiang, formerly Wat Doi Wiang, is close to Mae Thi Reservoir. On the hill is a traditional Chedi, which contains the Buddha’s relics. Assumed to have been built in 1220 during the reign of Queen Cham Thewi. Wat Doi Wiang is a small Chadi, the height of about 10 meters, base on each side of about 3 square meters, the brick masonry resembles a Burmese pagoda.
This temple also has three older Buddha images. The first one is a bronze Buddha image called “the Attitude of Subduing Mara” with the lap width of 29 inches. There is a narrative story, “Once upon the time, in a dry season, there were villagers who had a problem with drought, so they brought the Buddha image to parade, making a wish for the rain to come. All of sudden almost immediately, it started raining”. As a consequence, the villagers named the Buddha image as "God of Rain". The second Buddha image, the lap width 99 inches, which is enshrined in the Hall of Sermon. The third, the lap width 89 inches, enshrined at the base of the hill. Both sides are laterite and the outer-side is covered by cement. At the time it was found it was discovered headlong in the dirt. So, local people called it "God of Dirt". On the top of the hill is the enshrining of Doi Wiang Chedi. Every year on the 8th day of the 7th lunar month, there is a tradition of worshiping the relics.
Location: Doi Wiang Village, Ban Thi Sub-district, Lamphun Province
Total visits to the site