History: Wat Cham Thewi, originally called Wat Ku Kut was established by Queen Cham Thewi, the first Queen Regnant of Kingdom of Haripunchai in the 13th Buddhist century. It was the temple where Queen Cham Thewi was abdicated and ordained until 1276 and died at 92 years old. The temple was abandoned until 1969. Krom Phraya Damrong Rajanubhab travelled to the Northern of Thailand and surveyed the temple. He changed the temple name and called it Wat Cham Thewi. In the temple, there are two important ancient Chedis, namely, Suwan Chang Kot Chedi created by the son of Cham Thewi. It is a rectangular Chedi, a five-storey floor building in descending order shape. Each floor has standing Buddha figures, represent forgiveness totaling 60 figures. The Chedi looks similar to Chedis in Bonaire Sri Lanka. The Chedi, contains the remains of Queen Cham Thewi. Because the Chedi was derelict, afterwards it had been named Ku Kut (broken viharn) and another Chedi is the octagonal Rattana Chedi. It was built by King Saphasit in the 17th Buddhist century. The Chedi contains the statue of Kruba Srivichai, in a standing position; four sides and four directions. It was also the place where the funeral of Kruba Srivicha took place.
Main Feature: Chedi Suwan contains the remains of Queen Cham Thewi. The octagonal Rattana Chedi, also contains the statue of Kruba Srivichai in standing position; four sides and four directions.
Location: Mueang District, Lamphun Province
Total visits to the site